People who fly American Airlines and the airlines in AA’s Oneworld alliance will enjoy mid-level flight perks and a great sign-up bonus when they choose the . You’ll earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every dollar you spend on eligible AA flights, as well as 2x miles for purchases at restaurants and gas stations, which means you don’t have to fly often to earn miles fast.
The sign-up bonus of 50,000 miles can be redeemed for a round-trip ticket from the United States to Europe with AA’s off-peak pricing. You’ll also get a number of perks for AA travel, including the first bag free, preferred boarding,a discount on inflight food and beverage purchases.
What we like about Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite
- You’ll earn 2x miles for every dollar you spend on eligible American Airlines purchases and at restaurants and gas stations; one mile per dollar for other purchases.
- Earn a 50,000 AAdvantage mile bonus when you spend $2,500 within the first three months of opening your account.
- $99, waived for first 12 months
- Receive a $125 flight discount with American Airlines after you spend $20,000 in the first year and renew for the second year of membership.
- There is no foreign transaction fee.
- Your first checked bag on domestic American Airlines flights is free for you and up to four companions traveling under the same reservation as you.
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights and save 25% when using the card to make inflight food and beverage purchases.
Things to consider
- The card has an annual fee of $99, waived for first 12 months
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite
Mastercard® no longer offers a host of travel services, including car rental insurance, trip cancellation and interruption insurance, lost baggage protection, travel and emergency assistance and lost baggage protection.
- You won’t earn access to the Admiral Club lounge with this card.
- This is not a general mile awards card, so the best deals are through AA and the Oneworld alliance members.
Travel reward details
You’ll earn unlimited 2x miles with Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite
This card is co-branded with American Airlines, which means you’ll get the best deals by redeeming the miles you’ve earned through AA or a member of the Oneworld alliance, such as British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia and Qantas.
MileSAAVer level flights — commuter flights of less than 500 miles — start at 7,500 miles for one-way, which can save you money, since short flights to smaller cities tend to be more expensive. You can also shop for reduced mileage awards on domestic travel, which are updated regularly on the American Airlines site. If you’re not going to use the miles for short flights, it may be worthwhile to save them for premium-cabin transatlantic flights through one of AA’s foreign partners.
The standard APR rate for this card is 15.99% – 24.99% Variable, depending on creditworthiness. For cash advances, the rate is 25.24% (Variable) APR, and you’ll pay a fee of $10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater. The balance transfer fee is $5 or 3% of the balance transfer, whichever is greater. There is an annual fee of $99, waived for first 12 months in which you are a cardmember, while there are no foreign transaction fees.
Citi may raise your variable APR rate after a single late payment and keep you at the penalty APR rate for an indefinite period of time.
How does it compare to other travel reward cards?
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite
|Card name||APR||Annual Fee||Intro Bonus||Credit Needed||Key features|
|15.99% – 24.99% Variable||$99, waived for first 12 months||50,000 bonus miles when you spend $2,500 in the first three months||Excellent||
|15.99% – 22.99% Variable||$95||60,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months||Good to Excellent||
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card||17.24% – 24.49% (Variable)||$0 intro for first year; $95 after that||50,000 bonus points when you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening||Excellent||
The bottom line
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite
Please Note: Information about the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card have been collected independently by TheSimpleDollar.com. The issuer did not provide the details, nor is it responsible for their accuracy.
Editorial Note: Compensation does not influence our recommendations. However, we may earn a commission on sales from the companies featured in this post. To view a list of partners, click here. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by our advertisers. Reasonable efforts are made to present accurate info, however all information is presented without warranty. Consult our advertiser’s page for terms & conditions.
The post Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® Review appeared first on The Simple Dollar.